Ramsey Girls.jpeg

Victims Dorvil and Lottie Ramsay. Image courtesy of the Ramsay Family. Enhancement by John Van Horne.

For nearly a century, two large painted crosses on Sugarloaf Mountain in Campbellton, New Brunswick, have been a not-so-subtle reminder that life can vanish in the blink of an eye.

On a dark, frosty evening in the fall of 1924, local sisters Dorvil [Ramsay] McLean and Lottie Ramsay took the worst possible route down the 1,000-foot high extinct volcano — the north face. And with no flashlight.

The young women paid the ultimate price, plunging to their deaths.

Dorvil [left] was 22. Lottie [right] was a few years younger.

A light blanket of snow had fallen that fateful Sunday, 9th November, making a trek up the mountain precarious. Conditions were such that someone could easily slip and get hurt.

It was around four in the afternoon, the story goes, when the Ramsay girls set off to climb one of New Brunswick’s best-known mountains. The sisters used a trail that snakes its way up the eastern spine of the Sugarloaf — the same route hikers use today.

It was getting dark when Dorvil and Lottie stood on the summit. It was also a tad chilly — but the view spectacular, as always. Spread out beneath them were the twinkling lights of Campbellton and area.

We’ll never know what possessed the sisters to climb down the front of the Sugarloaf, a high-risk venture at the best of time.

We could analyze and parse this for eternity but, bottom line, no one can really say what happened that fateful day. No one saw the girls fall and, far as we know, no one heard the screams.

Key information is missing — and will always be missing because too much time has passed.


Dorvil [Ramsay] McLean, married just 14-months before, had a 7-month old boy at home. Little did the young mom know but she’d never see her child again. If you believe in a Heaven and a life beyond, mother and son would reunite in the mid-1940s. More on that coming up.

When Dorvil and Lottie failed to show for supper, their parents, Jane and Sydney, sensed that something was amiss.

Around 8 o’clock that moonlit night, a group of men, armed with flashlights, went looking for the girls — but no luck.

Jane Ramsay was a stay-at-home mom, not unusual back in the day. Her husband was a railway fireman who earned his pay cheque the hard way — by shovelling coal on the steam locomotives.

Dorvil and Lottie came from a large family. They had six siblings — two sisters and four brothers.

Understandably, there was tension at the Ramsay household at 15 Hillside Street, down by the train tracks. Mom and dad had no idea where their girls were and not knowing was giving them fits.

A younger brother was given ‘a few cents’ and told to leave the house for a spell while the adults tried to make sense of things.

When the girls failed to return home, it was clear something had gone terribly wrong.

Dreading that proverbial knock on the door, nobody slept well that night. Prayers, muttered non-stop, were for naught. The girls were already in Heaven.

When the sun came up, a small search party set off to find them. Several men soon reached the top where they picked up the girls’ trail. Following a set of footprints in the thin layer of snow, they gingerly made their way down the front of the mountain.

The trail zigzagged here and there, as though the Ramsay girls didn’t know where they were going. About halfway down the mountain, hearts sank when the trail ended at the edge of a steep cliff.

The searchers peered over the side and called out. There was no response, and so they called out again. The silence signalled they were no longer on a rescue mission but a recovery mission.

Hundreds of feet below, more searchers — including policeman William Smith — located the lifeless, battered bodies, wrapped them in blankets and carried them down the mountain.

According to a hand-written account done at the time [provided by Anik Soucy Adams], Dorvil’s body was found among the rocks while Lottie’s body was spotted a short distance away, caught on a tree. The author of the notes is not known.

A grim-faced police officer then went around to the Ramsay house and gently tapped on the door. He had some heartbreaking news no parent should ever hear.

DJI_0122 2.jpg

To see more detail, click to enlarge. [Photo by Author in early October 2017]

The bodies were taken to Graham’s ‘undertaking rooms.’

There was no autopsy. “No need,” according to the coroner, a Doctor Martin, who came to the conclusion the girls died from acute head injuries.

The funeral was one of the largest Campbellton had seen.

Dorvil and Lottie Ramsay’s tombstone can be found in the sprawling Rural Cemetery in the West end of town.


The tombstone of Dorvil and Lottie Ramsay. Click to enlarge. [Photo by Author]



Little is known about Dorvil and Lottie, mainly because the accident happened about a century ago — but also because family members didn’t want to talk about it. So deep was the pain.

Death certificates shed more light on the girls and how they perished …

Arabella Dorvil [Ramsay], born in Campbellton in 1902, was married to Edmund McLean. On the official statement of cause, date, and place of death, Occupation of Deceased was listed as ‘housewife.’

Cause of Death: ‘The skull was fractured in many places, making [a] lot of compressions.’ Translation: massive head injury.

Contributory: ‘Fall from top of Sugarloaf Mountain in Campbellton, NB.’

Lottie Sarah Ramsay’s death certificate lists her occupation as a restaurant waitress. Lottie, who was also born in Campbellton, was single.

Incredibly, Lottie has three different birthdates. Her death certificate [see below] shows 1904. Her birth certificate indicates that she was born in 1906. However, Lottie’s tombstone [see photo above] lists 1905 as the year she was born. Take your pick.

Back then, vital stats — including the correct spelling of names — apparently wasn’t a big deal.

“I don’t remember having seen her before,” writes the coroner who completed Lottie’s death certificate, “… I only [saw her] as a coroner.”

Under Contributory, Martin noted: “Feet slipped on ice on top of Sugarloaf Mountain causing fall down the mountain …”

It’s interesting the coroner came to that conclusion. Could it be that someone — perhaps the coroner or a police officer — spoke with those who’d followed the girls’ tracks to the edge of a cliff?

As part of an investigation, members of the search party were likely interviewed to help determine if the deaths were an accident or the result of foul play. That’s standard procedure nowadays and I suspect things were no different back then.

Rumours of the girls being ‘chased by a bear’ … hmmm … perhaps not. When the girls were killed, bears had been in hibernation for a month. And if a bruin was not in its den that particular evening — for whatever reason — it would have been scrounging for food and water, and there wasn’t a lot of that at the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.

Keep this in mind as well. No one saw bear tracks.


Dorvil’s Death Certificate [Document courtesy of the Ramsay Family] Click to enlarge.


Lottie’s Death Certificate [Document courtesy of the Ramsay Family] Click to enlarge.

Some have speculated the girls may have been alive for some time after they hit bottom. Given the severity of their head injuries, that’s unlikely. Owing to the long drop — we’re talking hundreds of feet here — Dorvil and Lottie were most certainly unconscious within seconds and dead within minutes.

Their parents were forever in mourning. The same could be said for many in tight-knit Campbellton where everyone seemed to know each other.

One can only imagine the number of prayers that were whispered for the two girls. Then and now.

A young waitress and a young stay-at-home mom have become some of Campbellton’s best-known citizens — all because of how and where they died.


Painter Alex Johnson went beyond making devotions. On Thursday, May 28, 1925, the former World War I sniper took aim at creating a unique memorial for his friends.

With the help of his older brother Seely, the 26-year-old climbed the face of the Sugarloaf, carrying gallons of white paint to where the bodies were found. He then pulled out a brush and began painting two rock surfaces.

It was a full day’s work.

Next morning, people in Campbellton woke to find a pair of white crosses on their mountain. Everyone knew what they were about.

crosses 001 - Version 2

Alex Johnson made the climb time and time again to repaint the crosses. Here he is at the foot of the main cross in May 1955. Note the cross stitched on his jacket. Click to enlarge. [photo supplied by John Van Horne]

Alex’s father, a Norwegian immigrant who ran a painting business in town, supplied the paint. But his youngest son provided the manpower.

Alex also provided some form of closure — not only for himself but for everyone in town.

It was a labour of love. Alex painted the crosses on his own time — without compensation. That’s how things got done back then.

Angie Johnson recalls her father talking about the ‘great sadness’ in town when the girls were killed, and that he wanted to do something special so they’d never be forgotten. The result was a unique memorial that could be seen for miles.

In an ironic twist, the photo of the sisters [above] shows both wearing tiny crosses.

Thanks to a sturdy leather harness, Alex Johnson was able to safely paint the memorials without getting hurt or becoming a fatality himself.


The safety harness used by Alex Johnson. [Photo by Author] Click to enlarge.

Perhaps it didn’t occur to Alex at the time — although maybe it did — but his crosses have saved lives and injuries simply by being that constant reminder. A novice climber would think twice about scaling the north face. No one wants to be that third cross.

Johnson, a founding member of the Royal Canadian Legion in Campbellton, died in 1997. He was 98.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.29.47 AM.png

Teenager Alex Johnson fought in France and Belgium. [Image courtesy of Angie Johnson and John Van Horne.]

The man who initially painted the crosses on Sugarloaf Mountain is buried in the same cemetery as Dorvil and Lottie Ramsay.


The large crosses didn’t go over well with the Ramsay family, especially the mother.

That’s understandable. Seeing the crosses day in and day out was a painful reminder for Jane that her two girls were never coming home.


Dorvil had married when she was 20. Her husband, Edmund, was 22. The young couple took their vows on August 21, 1924.

They hadn’t been married 18-months when Dorvil died.

Marriage certificate Dorval and Edmund.jpg

The ‘Official Notice of Marriage’ for Edmund McLean and Dorvil Ramsay. Edmund is listed as a ‘bachelor’ … and Dorvil as a ‘spinster.’ “Can the bridegroom read? Yes. Write? Yes.” “Can the bride read? Yes. Write? Yes.” Click to enlarge. [Source: Ramsay Family.]

Dorvil and Edmund had one child, Sterling [Edmund] Sydney. Edmund Junior never knew his mother because he was only half a year old when she made that fatal trip up the Sugarloaf.

Before Edmund could finish high school — like so many teens in the day — he signed up at a military recruiting office in Fredericton where he was given an army uniform. The youngster was soon on a ship crossing the Atlantic Ocean for training in England and to fight in the ‘European Theatre’ of World War Two.

Trooper McLean [Reg # G3906] ended up with the 28th Armoured Regiment [tanks], based in British Columbia.

And like so many teens and young men, Junior never came home.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 5.13.12 PM.jpg

[Courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.]

Trooper McLean was killed on April 25, 1945, in Friesoythe, near Bremen in northwest Germany just days before the Nazis surrendered.

Like his mother, Edmund Junior died young. He’d just turned 21.

McLean is one of 1,382 soldiers interred in a Canadian War Cemetery in Holten, Netherlands, about two hours’ drive from where his tank exploded.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.37.34 AM.png

August 1943. Stirling McLean visiting his father in Low, Quebec [north of Ottawa] prior to embarking overseas. He received his training in England and took part in the D-Day Invasion and the liberation of Holland. [Photographer unknown]

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 5.16.13 PM.png

This is what an email looked like in 1945. Millions of these telegrams were delivered all over the world. Click to enlarge. [Image courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.]

McLean is buried with a group of young soldiers in a corner of the well-kept cemetery. When I say ‘young,’ their ages ranged from 19 to 26. Seems like a misprint, doesn’t it?

On the white tombstones we find some touching tributes: “Far from home he died that we might enjoy life” … “memories are treasures no one can steal; death leaves a heartache no one can heal” … “he is not dead, he is just asleep” and … “far from those who loved him but in eternal peace with God …”

On the tombstone of Dorvil Ramsay’s son, however, there is no personalized tribute — only a cross.


Sterling Edmund McLean was engaged to a young woman living in downtown Montreal, in the shadows of Mount Royal.

Evelyn Gallant paced the floor in her apartment on Pierce Street, terribly worried about her fiancé. She hadn’t heard from Sterling in a while. His censured letters from Europe had stopped coming. Was he hurt and recovering in hospital? Perhaps he was on his way to see her. Or …

To find out what was going on, she wrote to army headquarters in Ottawa. Click on her short letter [lower left] to see what she had to say.

The mailman soon arrived carrying an envelope from the military. Now Evelyn Gallant would know. She tore open the envelope, read the letter and her worst fears were realized. The young woman burst into tears. She’d read the letter again and again to make sure it was true.

As the country song goes, war is hell on the homefront too.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 1.21.49 AM.png

Documents courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.


Here’s a short video clip [:25] showing the rugged rocks where the girls fell. Click on the arrow to view it.

The clip will appear in 720p quality, which is okay … but nothing great. If you’d like to watch it in higher definition [1080p, Blu-ray], first click on ‘SHARE’ [top right corner], then click on either ‘ORIGINAL’ or ‘MP4.’ You should be good to go.

To download the clip, go to ‘SHARE’ then click on ‘OGG.’


It’s always hard to imagine what life was like before we were around. But through popular songs from the “Roaring ’20s” [specifically 1924] … and some key events from that year, we can get a ‘feel’ for what life was like back then.

1924 was the year Prince Edward Island switched driving from the left side to the right side of the road … the Royal Canadian Air Force was formed … Prime Minister Mackenzie King made radio history by broadcasting the first federal speech … and in hockey at the first Winter Olympics in Chamonix, France, Canada [represented by the Toronto Granite Club] beat the United States 6-1 in a testy, injury-filled game. Some things never change.

Let’s hear a few hit songs from 1924 … California, Here I Come [Al Jolson]; It Had To Be You [Isham Jones & His Orchestra]; Somebody Loves Me [Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra] and The Charleston [Arthur Gibbs & His Orchestra]. Total time 04:36

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 10.01.23 AM.png



Over the years, volunteers have repainted the crosses and removed small trees and shrubbery so the monuments could be seen. In the photo above, taken in 2016, Sugarloaf Parks worker Laura Doucet joins local firefighters in giving the crosses a makeover. [Photographer unknown]


Hikers have made the climb to ‘connect’ with the iconic landmark. Author’s estimate of the height of the main rock face is 50-60 feet. [Photo by Author.]


On Thanksgiving Sunday, October 7, 2018, Campbellton area women Rose Beek, Monique Boudreau and Gina Menzies attached red flowers to the main cross. It was their way of paying tribute to the Ramsay girls. Boudreau and Menzies are also cancer survivors. They climbed to the crosses with a clear message: mountains, like cancer, can be conquered.


This is not how the Sugarloaf looked like in 1924, not even close. There were far fewer trees on the mountain when the Ramsay girls perished. Click to enlarge to see the rockface in more detail. [Photo by Author in October 2017]

Sugarloaf 1929970 (1)

A view of the Sugarloaf in 1927. Owing to a fire, there weren’t a lot of trees at the eastern end of the mountain. [Photo courtesy of Edie Powers.] Click to enlarge.


October 4, 1922: Sugarloaf Mountain on fire. Click to enlarge. [Photo courtesy of historian Irene Doyle.]


Angie Johnson, Alex’s eldest daughter, now in her 70s, lives in the small house her father built on Aucoin Street in the west end of Campbellton.

When Angie relaxes on her south-facing balcony, overlooking the mighty Sugarloaf, she thinks about the two Ramsay girls … and her dad, the painter.

“My father …” Angie offers, tearing up, “was such a kind man.” Motioning to the crosses, she adds, “Look what he did! I am so proud of him …”

31 thoughts on “The Story Behind the Crosses

  1. I would like a story on The Van Horne Bridge. I remember us playing underneath on the catwalk during construction. What a nice revisit.


  2. Wow, What a story. I always wondered what was the truth behind the crosses on the Campbellton Sugarloaf Mountain. Now I know.

    No more is it a mystery to me and many others.

    Well done.


  3. This is absolutely a wonderful recollection of what’s behind the two crosses!

    I’ve lived in Campbellton till 1979 prior to university and honestly had no full understanding of all the facts behind the tragedy.

    Thanks for sharing and again showing why Campbellton is a great humanitarian city!


  4. John Ross, born in Campbellton now lives in Miramichi with his cousin Jack Miller, who lives in Fredericton, climbed the path on the eastern side of the mountain in August 1951 … had a picnic there. Beautiful view of Campbellton.

    Thank you to the person that posted this article.


  5. Wow. That is truly an in-depth look at the two crosses.

    It’s nice to be able to get so much information about them.

    Thank you for sharing.


  6. Very well done. Climbed the mountain many times in 1960’s and 70’s.

    The last part of east side path was a rock climb. Also remember the path in woods from Brookside to the mountain. Always thought it was spooky in there.

    Would like to see more history on my hometown.


  7. I enjoy your articles and images whenever they come up on my Internet horizon. Keep up your fine work!

    Best regards from a fellow Campbelltonian now living in the balmy South at sunny Shediac.
    Louis Allard (formerly of Queen Street)


  8. We used to climb the Sugarloaf often as kids in the 1960s.

    Our family always talked about the Ramsay sisters, telling us to be careful going up there … and to watch for the bears.

    Thank you for sharing so many more facts. Interesting read.


  9. Thanks for again writing a great article about our hometown.

    My Mom had told me some of the story about the Ramsay girls when I was a child as I wondered what those crosses were all about.


  10. Pingback: My Love Affair with a Mountain ♥ | Byron Christopher

  11. Beautifully written. You tell the story with heartfelt sincerity, a poignant tribute to the girls, their family and their place in the history of Campbellton. Thank you.


  12. Having lived the first 19 years of my life in Campbellton, I’ve always wondered about the significance of the two crosses painted on the face of the Sugarloaf … now I know the facts.

    Thank you for sharing. Very well done.


  13. Have been going up the mountain a few times a week for the past 40 years and although I knew the crosses represented the deaths of the Ramsay sisters it was nice to read the actual story.

    Thanks for sharing.

    By the way, 22 years ago I took my daughter [who was around 13 years old at the time] up to the crosses. It wasn’t the smartest thing I ever did and was reminded often by the mother. We were able to touch the large cross but couldn’t reach the small one.


  14. Pingback: New Postcards for an Old Home | Byron Christopher

  15. I remember moving to Campbellton in 1971 and being told the story of the crosses.

    I read this article and it still breaks my heart. What a tragedy. I’ve always wondered why they would go up the mountain at that time of year and that late in the day.


  16. I remember this story and looked it up at the library … a great tragedy for the Ramsay family.

    I lived on upper Lansdowne Street and our house faced the mountain so I saw the crosses everyday. As children, we climbed the mountain often; some of the boys used to climb the face.

    I was good friends with Linda Johnson and I know her family was proud of their father for painting the crosses.

    Thanks for a well-written story.


  17. I was born in Campbellton in 1927. I grew up hearing the account of the Ramsay sisters.

    I worked on the CN Railway for 37 years. I knew both Alex and Elmer Johnson. They worked for B&B (bridge and builders). I also knew Syd Ramsay — and knew the police officer that went to the place of the tragedy. My brother and I chummed with his son.

    For something to do in those days, we ran up and down the path to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain. We timed it to see who could run up and down the fastest.

    It is a great article on the story of the Ramsay sisters … it is good to let the younger generation know a little of the history of Campbellton. Well done.


  18. This is a wonderful article, Byron. You have a great gift for storytelling and bringing this tragedy to life for today’s generation.

    I knew the basic facts of the story but not in such detail – great research! Thank you for taking the time to prepare this thoughtful empathetic account.

    I have climbed the mountain a few times too, but never had the nerve to go up the north face – the gradual trek on the east side was plenty challenging enough for me.

    I doubt I could climb the Sugarloaf at all these days, even on the path. Last time I was up was about 30 years ago with my friend Charlotte, another teacher. But we were a lot younger. Even then I had to catch my breath many times, and that last 100 feet of sheer rock was a devil to climb. But a beautiful view from the top. That day, as we were sitting there puffing and getting our breath back, we saw a couple of little heads appearing over the north face — two boys no more than 7 or 8 years old who had climbed up the front of the mountain collecting pop and beer cans/bottles — if you can believe it. All of a sudden, our accomplishment withered in comparison.


  19. Very nice for you to share their story.

    My mother use to tell me about the two girls that fell but now I have names to put with the story.

    Thank you. It was a wonderful and educational read.


  20. Great story.

    I am told that the Ramsay sisters are distant relatives on my father’s side. I have nothing to substantiate this of course.


  21. Thank you for this amazing article. Each time I read it, I understand your interest.

    You are such a wonderful advocate for this area we call home!


  22. Pingback: Giving Thanks | Byron Christopher

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s